Job Title: Packaging Specialist I – Ashland, WI
Reporting To: Production Manager – Ashland, WI
Job Purpose: The Packaging Specialist I works at our Windsor, WI location and is responsible for blending and packaging seed orders as directed by the Production Manager. This is a labor-intensive position.
About Deer Creek Seed Co: Deer Creek Seed Co. is a premium forage, turf, cover crop, and wildlife food plot seed company based out of Wisconsin. We take great pride in the quality of our seed, the integrity of our hard work, and our top-notch customer service. Learn more about us at www.deercreekseed.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work as a team player to ensure timely production
- Prepare seed blends by processing orders according to blend sheets
- Pull correct material from warehouse floor necessary for seed blends
- Utilize industrial seed blender efficiently as per our standard operating procedure
- Ensure accuracy of blends before beginning
- Ensure accurate labelling and temporary storage for finished products
- Label finished products in accordance with sales order and blend sheet information
- Stack pallets with finished products
- Assist with safe warehouse operation
- Occasionally assist with shipment loading, unloading, and transferring within warehouse (use of forklift and pallet jack)
- Maintain a clean, organized work area
- Good attendance is crucial to this position
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Good communication skills (direct, polite, pro-active)
- Basic arithmetic skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, weights, and percentages)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as blend sheets, maintenance instructions, and safety rules
- Ability to meet heavy physical demands listed below
- Ability to work in a team environment or occasionally alone
- Willing to obtain a fork lift certification (company sponsored)
Physical Requirements: This position is labor-intensive and will include the following activities on a daily basis:
- Consistently standing, twisting, bending, and reaching
- Walking and occasionally climbing stairs
- Lifting 50-pound bags frequently and up to 70 pounds occasionally
- Forklift certification
- Prior warehouse experience
- Mechanical/electrical/construction skills
- Knowledge of operational machinery such as blenders, conveyors, compactors, and forklifts
Work Environment: Deer Creek Seed maintains a high level of cleanliness in our warehouse and office. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will primarily work in the warehouse and blend room where they will be exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the warehouse can be moderate to loud and the employee will be exposed to dust. The blend room has a dust collection system in place and is heated in the winter.
Working Hours: 7:30 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. This position is hourly and overtime is paid at time and a half after forty hours per work week. Spring/fall busy seasons will require additional work hours and/or a shift in working hours to accommodate 2 shifts. Saturdays may also be required during the busy season.
Compensation and Benefits:
Full-Time: This position is paid hourly, starting at $13.50 - $14.00 / hour depending on experience. Employees are eligible for 6 paid federal holidays, 2 paid sick days, and paid overtime (time and a half). This position is subject to a six-month probationary period. After six months, health benefits are available at a discounted, company shared cost. This position earns one week of paid vacation after the first year of employment and two weeks of paid vacation after the second year.
How To Apply:
Mail a resume and optional cover letter to:
Deer Creek Seed Co.
Attn: Tim Bauer
PO Box 105
48200 State Highway 112
Ashland, WI 54806
Send resume and optional cover letter as e-mail attachments (PDFs only) to:
No phone calls, please.