Job Title: Operations Associate – Ashland, WI
Reports To: Operations Director - Ashland WI
Job Purpose: To increase team capacity by carrying out daily administrative and operational tasks that result in efficient and economical operation of our Ashland, Wisconsin seed plant. Allowing Deer Creek Seed to maintain its high level of customer service, while continuing to grow the business.
About Deer Creek Seed Co: Deer Creek Seed is a vertically integrated, premium turf and forage seed company based in Ashland, Wisconsin with additional locations in Windsor, Wisconsin and Effingham, Illinois. We are deemed an Essential Business and take great pride in the quality of our seed, the integrity of our hard work, and our superior customer service. Learn more about us at www.deercreekseed.com.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keep inventory current and in real time, 24-7.
- Determine and maintain inventory-days’ supply.
- Manage logistics activities across North America. This includes Full Truck Load, Less Than Load and Intermodal shipments.
- Coordinate and manage all inbound and outbound traffic.
- Identify best ways to transport goods to/from seed growers and dealers, optimizing costs and assuring on-time deliveries.
- Create and maintain all shipment records.
- Use ERP (electronic resource planning) software to manage and reconcile accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Chair Plant Safety and conduct monthly safety meetings.
- Conduct hazard assessments through inspections and safety audits.
- Identify Safety hazards and recommend corrective actions.
- Advise on procurement and use of safety equipment for incident prevention and safety.
Operations, Customer Service & Sales Support
- Create necessary blend/pack documents & materials and freight documents.
- Address customer inquiries and operational issues in real time.
- Inform Sales Team of order status and shipment timelines.
- Manage daily communication and relationships with customers, seed growers & shipping carriers.
- Responsible for ordering and keeping track of packaging materials.
- 5+ years’ experience in inventory management, order fulfillment and/or logistics.
- Experience managing carrier relationships, and coordinating various modes of shipping.
- A predisposition for safety.
- Customer-centric approach to problem-solving.
- Proficient in Excel and MS Office Suite.
- Experience with an ERP.
- Extremely organized, meticulous, and detail-oriented.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A positive outlook with Team attitude.
- Prior agriculture or seed experience not necessary, but certainly a plus.
Education, Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business, operations, logistics or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Experience with reporting to senior management.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheets, and other digital technologies.
Work Hours: We strive for a Monday through Friday 40-hour work week. However, the seed business is a very time and weather sensitive, seasonal business. Therefore, candidates must be willing to work overtime on an ‘as needed’ basis, including some weekends.
Compensation and Benefits:
Full-Time, Career Opportunity: Depending on candidate’s preference, this can be an hourly or salaried position. Employees are eligible for holidays, paid sick days, and paid overtime (time and a half). This position is subject to a three-month probationary period. We offer competitive benefits such as Health, 401K after 1 year (must include at least 1,000 hours worked).
How to Apply:
Send resume and optional cover letter as e-mail attachments (PDFs only) to:
No phone calls, please.